Sleep is essential to all living beings, it rejuvenates and energize our body,
mind, and spirit.
Majority fail to get quality sleep. Let’s fix this.
• Ayurveda on sleep
Body will be in it’s optimal health by
– Regulating ahara (food/diet)
– Regulating svapna (sleep)
Thus, effective sleep at the appropriate time and in a proper posture is very
important for good health.
Sleep is very much dependent on 3 Ayurvedic constitutional types
(Tridoshas) – Vata, Pitta, Kapha
These ‘doshas’ influence the quality and quantity of sleep.
The more balanced these doshas the more good ‘sleep and wake up’ cycle
you shall have.
STEPS FOR GOOD QUALITY SLEEP
• Ayurvedic herbs for improved sleep quality – Brahmi, Vacha,
Ashwagandha, Jatamansi, Shankhapushpi, Shirodhara etc.
A calm mind and body is essential for quality sleep, meditation and prayer
before sleep does this. (Self tested)
• Keep away from electronic devices
Phones, T.V impact your nervous system and disturb your sleeping pattern.
Shut your electronic devices 1-2 hours before sleep.
This will ensure deep quality sleep and you will feel rejuvenated even if you
sleep for less hours.
• Sleep in Dark and Quite place
Darkness will help produce melatonin by pineal glands which promotes
Noise will keep your brain active and the body require quiet and peaceful
environment to fall asleep.
• Posture and Breathing
A good posture and an excellent breathing pattern ensures quality sleep.
– Do not sleep with your head pointing in north direction, east facing head is
– Breathe from nose
– “A bhogi (pleasure seeking) sleeps on the belly, a rogi (ill) sleeps on the
back and a yogi sleeps on side”
Side sleeping supports the natural sleep cycles.
You can change the direction in night but consider sleeping on your left
when you lie down to sleep.
• Massage your naval with desi ghee
Ghee helps in balancing the increased vata (One of the three doshas in
human body), and increased vata is related to poor quality sleep.
• Sleep as per ayurvedic clock
Follow the natural rhythm – going to bed before 10pm and waking up before
• Have a good evening routine
– Eat 2-3 hours before sleeping
– Chant prayers in evening after bathing
– If you exercise in evening, do it 3-4 hours before sleep
• Balance your Tridoshas
Balance in vata, pitta, kapha is very important for homeostasis in body.
Some ways to balance Tridoshas
– Wake up in Brahma muhurata
– Practice Yoga and Pranayam
“Accoridng to Swami Ramdev, doing yoga asanas like yogamudrasana, badh
konasana, mandukasana, ushtrasana, bhujangasana, markatasana, and
uttan padasana can help treat diseases related to vata, pitta and kapha
from the root”.
– Eat food according to your dominant body dosha type.
Consult an ayurvedic practitioner.
Drink warm milk before going to bed. Add turmeric, desi ghee or cardamom
Let’s sleep like yogis and make our life more productive.
Listen to a bit more detailed version of ‘THE ART OF SLEEP’ in my recent